TW200 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
TW200 Forum

Forum for all TW200 Owners/enthusiasts

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Best rear sprocket for street

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Tughillrider

Best rear sprocket for street Empty
PostSubject: Best rear sprocket for street   Best rear sprocket for street Empty8/29/2010, 7:55 pm

Been riding the streets lately. Wondering the best tooth rear sprocket to get me a little faster . Also in doing so will I need a new chain ? Not much dirt to ride on in Philly, but I'll be heading back to upstate NY soon enough . PS my TW Fits in my 2009 Chrysler mini van . Tilt it in the back and you can stand it up. Can't do that with alot of bikes I imagine .
Regards,
Tughillrider
Back to top Go down
Admiral
Admiral

PostSubject: Re: Best rear sprocket for street   Best rear sprocket for street Empty8/30/2010, 12:14 pm

Howdy Tughillrider,

Seems alot of guys who do their riding in more "flat land" environment use a 15/47 or 15/45 sprocket combination for a little more speed or to lower the RPM's. From what I've read 15/47 seems to be more common. Some TW owners also mention some loss of speed when going uphill and have to downshift more often when not using the stock sprockets. 15/50 is stock.

I went riding in the mountains with a fellow TW rider who had a 15/47 setup. He mentioned doing more downshifting than I when going uphill and more braking when going downhill. I was leading and I didn't do as much shift as he mentioned he had to do.

When replacing the stock chain, again most change to a o-ring chain for longer wear. Quite a bit from what I have read. When I eventually need to replace my stock chain I plan to spend the extra money and buy an o-ring chain as well, but am going to keep my stock sprocket combination due to most of my riding is in the mountains. Just depends on one's experience and types of riding done as to which sprocket combination. I'm guessing you may have to change (shorten) the length of chain we moving down to a 47 or 45 tooth sprocket.

You can also find a wealth of information on sprockets and chains the other TW forum found at www.tw200forum.com

Also a rider on the other forum just posted some information on loading his TW in a mini van with pictures and is going to post a video of loading it with an electric winch system. Good stuff!

Take care and ride safe.
Back to top Go down
Turtle Chaser

Turtle Chaser

PostSubject: Re: Best rear sprocket for street   Best rear sprocket for street Empty9/29/2010, 9:30 pm

Actually 14 / 50 is stock. 15 / 50 or 15 /49 is the best all around gear for street that I have tried. You can go smaller on the back if your riding is without hills or headwinds but performance/acceleration will be compromised.

regards, mac
Back to top Go down
Admiral
Admiral

PostSubject: Re: Best rear sprocket for street   Best rear sprocket for street Empty9/30/2010, 7:57 am

Thanks Turtle Chaser for correcting me, you are correct 14/50 is stock. Gosh darnit, 15/50 just rolls off the tongue so well. ha ha. I meant 14/47 is what I've seen a lot of riders change too, but by no means the only change.

Like your change, I have noticed an increase in front sprocket changing to 15 from stock 14.

My opinion, rear sprocket is quicker to change!

Again, many thanks Turtle Chaser for correcting my "mis-information". I shouldn't be in such a hurry to answer!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best rear sprocket for street   Best rear sprocket for street Empty

Back to top Go down

Best rear sprocket for street
Page 1 of 1