TW200 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
TW200 Forum

Forum for all TW200 Owners/enthusiasts

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Possible Noob here

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
pigdog

Possible Noob here Empty
PostSubject: Possible Noob here   Possible Noob here Empty9/29/2010, 7:39 pm

So I'm looking at a "gently used" 96 with only 375 miles on it.

Any suggestions as to what I should look for when I go see it?
Back to top Go down
Turtle Chaser

Turtle Chaser

Possible Noob here Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possible Noob here   Possible Noob here Empty9/29/2010, 9:16 pm

WOW, that is not even close to broken in. If it has been garaged could be a real gem. If it been outside could have alot of issues. @ 14 years old look at anything rubber or plastic for cracking or UV damage ect. Check for rust or corrosion and see if everything works, lights, horn, turn signals ect. I would be amazed if it had the original battery. Definitely get a test ride. Sounds like a sweet deal for the right price.

Good luck with it !

mac
Back to top Go down
Admiral
Admiral

Possible Noob here Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possible Noob here   Possible Noob here Empty9/30/2010, 7:50 am

About the only thing I can add to Turtle Chaser, is to follow-up on the rust and address possible fuel system problems.

Whether stored inside or outside, it would appear the TW hasn't been ridden much. And this is a plus for you.

Looking for rust in the gas tank is about the only visual inspection on the fuel system. Not a huge deal here, but it's also possible fuel has "varnished" in the rest of the fuel system, particularly the carburetor. Of course hearing it fire up and a good ride will indicate any fuel issues, which can be overcome rather easily.

If the price is right and in otherwise good condition, sounds good.

P.S. I sure don't want to insult anyone, but if it has been sitting a while, inside or out, rotate the engine to circulate oil prior to starting up. Remove plug wire from plug and turn over, or use the kick starter without the key on.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Possible Noob here Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possible Noob here   Possible Noob here Empty

Back to top Go down

Possible Noob here
Page 1 of 1