TW200 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
TW200 Forum

Forum for all TW200 Owners/enthusiasts

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Spot transmitter

Go down 
+4
Hodakaguy
Peruano
goldenhtr
mrgizmow1
8 posters
AuthorMessage
mrgizmow1

mrgizmow1

Spot transmitter Empty
PostSubject: Spot transmitter   Spot transmitter Empty12/22/2008, 7:01 pm

I am getting close to a year of use on my Spot satellite transmitter. It is a great device to let those you care about that you are ok, or need help. You can also use it to map out the route you had travelled and once home, you can use the Spot/Goggle map to do some vitual exloration of those side trails you did not have time to take. I found the unit very affordable for what it does. If you are a solo explorer like me, give this bit of technology (orange thing on bars) some serious thought. Gerry. PS you want to mount the unit horizontal. This was my first bracket and the vertical position did not work as well as the new horizontal placement.
Spot transmitter Spotmount-1
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/gogl.jsp?glId=0JaPgKI27nOgecbX17DsLq2eQ9PqTomBM

Last edited by mrgizmow1 on 12/23/2008, 6:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://mrgizmow@aol.com
goldenhtr
Admin
goldenhtr

Spot transmitter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spot transmitter   Spot transmitter Empty12/22/2008, 7:44 pm

Gerry do you have an example that we can see as how it tracks your travels?

Tracy 🎅
Back to top Go down
Peruano

Spot transmitter Empty
PostSubject: gps tracks   Spot transmitter Empty12/23/2008, 7:54 am

Spot transmitter Ladronepeak

I have a buddy who superimposes his gps tracks (garmen or whatever) onto google earth images. The illustration above is a route we took around Ladrone Peak in Central New Mexico just northwest of Socorro, NM. I mention this to say that any gps track can be used. I can try to find out details if anyone has interest. Spot transmitter DSCN3876
As an afterthought I decided I should show you what Ladrone Peak looks like from my back yard. The line across the bottom of the mountain is the west bluff of the Rio Grande (its an illusion that its part of the mountain itself. Total distance around the mountain was on the order of 130 miles. As I recall the TW got nearly 89 mpg with much of it chugging along at 25 or 30 mph.
tom
Back to top Go down
mrgizmow1

mrgizmow1

Spot transmitter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spot transmitter   Spot transmitter Empty12/23/2008, 8:08 am

Thanks Peruano, the Spot map is similar and very easy to use (though I can't seem to capture a clip). With the Spot unit, after a ride you can log into their website and pull up your transmissions. They can be quickly superimposed over a variety of maps/satellite images (with great detail). You can then go from a known transmission point and 'retrace' your adventure to perhaps that "I wonder where this trail goes" thought you had. Now in vitual reality, you can explore 'that road not taken' and see if it is something you want to put on your must go here list. It's kind of fun and a good offroad aid. Gerry
Back to top Go down
Peruano

Spot transmitter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spot transmitter   Spot transmitter Empty12/23/2008, 8:43 am

Gerry, Your system sounds more interactive. My friend is merely storing the track info and upon returning home uploading it to coordinate with the Google Earth image. However once the track is saved he can then zoom in as much as he wants to see details down to the big bush scale. I should not pontificate too much because I've not actually watched him do this. He's the tech weenie, and I'm the parasite. Google earth is a wonderful resource for spoting new rides, destinations and challenges. I've always been a fan of maps, but satellite images are even better if you have some point of reference from which to start your study. Anyone who has a high speed internet connection should have it available and use it (with or without gps assistance or tracks. Keep on riding and have a good holiday everyone. tom
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

Spot transmitter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spot transmitter   Spot transmitter Empty12/23/2008, 8:49 am

A few of us are planning on riding the OBCDR (Oregon Back Country Discovery Route) next summer. It's aprox. 900 miles off off road trail that connects Walla Walla, WA to Cave Lake, CA. There will be some stretches where help is very far away. I plan on carrying a SPOT Messenger just for the comfort of knowing if someone in the group takes a bad spill we can get them help.

One of the features of the Spot is the ability to send a signal that lets family members know your ok and where your at. I kinda see this as a double edge sword. As long as your sending the links the Family can follow along on your trip and have great piece of mind, if for some reason the SPOT quits working or its damaged in a spill then you may be ok and still having fun but the family is no longer receiving their updates, they are going to be VERY worried at this point. Hmmm.

Here's a pic of the route.

Spot transmitter Obdr0_map_nw_reltrk

Thanks for the post.

Hodakguy
Back to top Go down
goldenhtr
Admin
goldenhtr

Spot transmitter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spot transmitter   Spot transmitter Empty12/23/2008, 10:20 am

Tom you taking the TW on that route? It looks like a lot of fun, i've looked at it for some time and read many ride reports on it.
How much extrea gas are you taking? Some towns that some thought said they had gas did not when they got there. I look forward to a complete ride report. :thumb:

Tracy 🎅
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

Spot transmitter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spot transmitter   Spot transmitter Empty12/23/2008, 10:44 am

goldenhtr wrote:
Tom you taking the TW on that route? It looks like a lot of fun, i've looked at it for some time and read many ride reports on it.
How much extrea gas are you taking? Some towns that some thought said they had gas did not when they got there. I look forward to a complete ride report. :thumb:

Tracy 🎅

I was originally going to take the TW, but because of the bikes my friends are tanking I'm going to ride my XR650R, it's equipped with a 6.3gal tank. Yeah I've read about the gas problems also. Lots of planning to be done on this trip. I'd love to take the TW on a long trip though, would be a blast with other similar sized machines.

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
goldenhtr
Admin
goldenhtr

Spot transmitter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spot transmitter   Spot transmitter Empty12/23/2008, 3:33 pm

On another note I wonder how hard it would be to ride down to Calif. and rent a u-haul for the return trip home??? Or vice-versa

Looks like a u-haul dealer is close to the finish line.
MILE HI TIRE&SERVICE

17685 Hwy 395
Lakeview, OR 97630

(541) 947-5055

Tracy 🎅
Back to top Go down
Fisher

Spot transmitter Empty
PostSubject: spot   Spot transmitter Empty12/23/2008, 6:44 pm

Hello all. Thanks for the Spot update Mrgizmo.The Spot seems to be a useful and affordable tool.Hodakguy raised an the interesting point of what might happen should it break for some reason.I just recently brought my satellite phone out of storage and reactivated it.I bought it about seven years ago for phone communications on my offshore fishing trips.I ended up deactivating it when we quit going so far offshore as it could be quite expensive and besides regular cell phone coverage worked fine on the inshore side of the west coast.Well now cell phones have gone with a digital signal and can be very unreliable.Anyways a lot has changed in seven years.You can now buy prepaid cards for the minutes you want,no contract! If you want you can also rent. My phones the older Iridium 9500 and I've seen them on Ebay for reasonable to excellent prices.Alot of you guys like to really get off the beaten track and I thought I'd mention this satphone option.I don't turn it on unless I plan to use it but it gives me peace of mind to have it.This is my first post here.Thanks for the forum.Merry Christmas and peace to all
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

Spot transmitter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spot transmitter   Spot transmitter Empty12/23/2008, 7:03 pm

We are planning a one way trip. My father is going to pick up up at the end with a trailer. Doing the route this way will give us more time to explore on the trail instead of pounding road miles on the way home. We're still not sure exactly what we are going to do trip wise, the whole route...or spend more time exploring and break it up into a couple of trips. I've been down in that area before and there is lots to explore down there, great riding!

I'll post up some of my pics from our trips into the SE Deserts of OR in the ride report section.

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Peruano

Spot transmitter Empty
PostSubject: hijack   Spot transmitter Empty12/23/2008, 8:05 pm

Sorry Gerry, I was not trying to hijack your thread. I guess I just stomped on the thread enough to make it a "Christmas ribbon) by broadening it. I was focusing on maping tracks not on communication with home folks. I always give my wife a general idea of where I'm going, but invariably I choose a slightly different path so the search party will have to be diligent if they are gong to find me. I've gone to taking a signal mirror and some emergency supplies in case I have to spend a night out, but my range is not enough to warrant satellite contact (as of yet). I can see the merits of the system.
When my buddy and I were on our Mississippi River bicycle ride this spring along the western coast of Illinois, people invariably asked how we were going to get home. We always said we would call our wives and the reply was always - What if they don't come to get you? It guess some folks have less faith in their marital status. So that's another side of the coin - they may know where you are, but choose to ignore the satellite for a few days. Not likely I know. tom
Back to top Go down
mrgizmow1

mrgizmow1

Spot transmitter Empty
PostSubject: communication & mapping   Spot transmitter Empty12/24/2008, 2:52 pm

No problem Tom. You are correct as to the Spot mapping system being very interactive. It can be a real help in planning further exploration.
Interesting thought about what folks might think should your Spot unit fail to work. What I have wondered about is how long it would likely take for help to arrive after a 911 transmission. I think Spot first calls your indicated 'homebase contact' Not sure how many calls or if they are inclined to leave a message and wait some short period for a reply. Say in your situation, if you transmitted a 911 signal from a location (trail)120 miles West of highway 395. I wonder if you could expect to see a Statetrooper or some other official person in a 4 wheel drive with at least a firstaid kit within 24 hours, I suspect not. I suspect after some research an official search and rescue effort would only start to get organized within that period of time. Wonder if anyone over on ADVrider would have used a Spot for a 911 situation? Gerry
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

Spot transmitter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spot transmitter   Spot transmitter Empty12/27/2008, 12:55 pm

Costco has the SPOT right now for $199 with a $50 rebate...=$149. AND it comes with a free one years subscription. Not a bad deal.

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
TW_Ryder

Spot transmitter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spot transmitter   Spot transmitter Empty12/27/2008, 1:37 pm

An interesting gadget and some good info here. Thanks

Steve
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

Spot transmitter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spot transmitter   Spot transmitter Empty12/28/2008, 8:00 am

Here's a long running thread on the SPOT over at ADVRider: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282391

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Peruano

Spot transmitter Empty
PostSubject: rei bargain   Spot transmitter Empty12/31/2008, 5:13 pm

Unless I heard my friend wrong, he bought a unit for $80 at REI with the first year of service free. Its worth checking out at that price. tom
Back to top Go down
mrgizmow1

mrgizmow1

Spot transmitter Empty
PostSubject: Spot tracking   Spot transmitter Empty1/2/2010, 4:10 pm

Well, a number of months ago I decided to pay for the 'constant tracking' mode. My thought is, for the few extra dollars, I do not have to remember to push a button and hope that I am in an area that will allow my signal to go through. Now, every ten minutes, the unit automatically sends my location to my 'Loved ones' without me having to do anything. I am inclined to say, for me, this is well worth the modest increase in price. Gerry
Back to top Go down
mrgizmow1

mrgizmow1

Spot transmitter Empty
PostSubject: Self leveling Spot   Spot transmitter Empty3/22/2010, 7:25 am

For the last couple of years now, I have used the Spot unit on every ride. In my opinion, the "Tracking" option is a 'must have'. Recently the thought came to me, that should I fall, and am unable to get back up, the Spot unit mounted on my handlebar may end up oriented in such a way as to prevent any further transmissions from getting through. I decided to work on a mount that would always allow the Spot's antenna to point skyward regardless of the bikes position. The Wife actually came up with this idea, so I ran with it. It is simply, a small camera case, I cut the webbed belt loop and used a soldering iron to melt a couple of holes. I then frabricate a pivot point using 1/4" fiberglass rod and a heavy duty 6 gauge wire terminal. The pivot is mounted as to point forward and be oriented horizontal to the ground. The camera case w/Spot hangs, and rotates freely from this rod. I have capped the end of the rod with grommet so the unit will not slide forward and off the rod. Seems to work fine. GerrySpot transmitter C:\Documents and Settings\Gerry\My Documents\My Pictures\Email or Web\101KC533\101_0835
Back to top Go down
JVT

Spot transmitter Empty
PostSubject: spot    Spot transmitter Empty7/25/2010, 7:12 am

I am interested in hearing from anyone who has used Both new and old version of spot.
After all.You really can't compaire them if you haven't done both.
Is the new any faster to send out signals?
Jim
Back to top Go down
R80rt
R80rt

Spot transmitter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spot transmitter   Spot transmitter Empty4/26/2014, 8:53 am

This is my first riding season with the SPOT, the tracking sure eases my wife's mind when I disappear into the wastelands.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Spot transmitter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spot transmitter   Spot transmitter Empty

Back to top Go down

Spot transmitter
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TW200 Forum :: General :: Gear and Equipment Reviews-
Jump to: