TW200 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
TW200 Forum

Forum for all TW200 Owners/enthusiasts

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

VARIOUS TW QUESTIONS....NEW GUY.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
frog13

VARIOUS TW QUESTIONS....NEW GUY. Empty
PostSubject: VARIOUS TW QUESTIONS....NEW GUY.   VARIOUS TW QUESTIONS....NEW GUY. Empty6/13/2011, 3:23 pm

Ok,instead of asking/posting several things,I'll just try and do it all on this one.

1. In inches,what is the common/ acceptable chain slack...also,this slack/adjustment is checked on the bottom "run",correct?.The slack is measured from where the bottom run is hanging down to the bottom of the swingarm,correct?.

2. Is it acceptable to use NO-TOIL filter cleaner and lube on Yamaha filters?.

3. Motor oil (I know,touchy subject). On my first oil change,which is coming-up(100 miles)I'm going to use Yamalube...I usually use the manufacturers oil 10w40.Are these tw's picky when it comes to the brand/formulation of the oil;do they object to synthetic after break-in?.

4. Is it acceptable to use moly with graphite to grease the rear end(swing arm)?....the owners manual says to use lithium-soap based grease(probably missed some of the lingo they used,but they are quite specific as to using lithium).

5. Rejetting: My bike is a 2009 with less than 100 miles on the clock. My elevation varies between 400'---1500' above sea level(SW Ohio...humid in the summer time).I'm just wanting the machine to run cooler....not looking to set speed records on a 200cc bike....since the air filter is already a foam unit,i'm curious someone has not found a pleated paper filter and installed it;this would make for a more rich result,correct?. What size/manufacturer of jets will I need to get the job done?.Main,pilot etc. .

6. On the road vs. off road, what tire pressures do you guys REALLY run....the manual and the warnings on the back of the front fender seem,VERY low....the side wall on the tires indicates 33psi max.
I believe my stock tires are Bridgestones???.

7. Lastly(I think),larger foot pegs,good quality ones and it looks to be a PIA to do this switch?.
Back to top Go down
mrgizmow1

mrgizmow1

PostSubject: Re: VARIOUS TW QUESTIONS....NEW GUY.   VARIOUS TW QUESTIONS....NEW GUY. Empty6/13/2011, 5:22 pm

In my 2006 manual, chain slack is 1.3 to 2.3 inches at the bottom center of the chain..

Nothing appears particularly unique about the TW's air filter, so my opinion would be the cleaner you mentioned would be fine. I have personally used all sorts of cleaners without concern or problems.

Staying with the manufactures brand is always safe and with one quart, cost is minimal. Lots of options otherwise. The cautionary note has been oils with modifiers for super gas mileage. Seems they can make the clutch (wet plate) slip.

I have used all sorts of grease, but then ignorance is bliss, it also can be expensive. Generally I use whats in the gun..

I have done the carb mod but have forgot the particulars. Someone else will surely present you with a plan.

With the stock suspension, I would try to keep road pressure per manual (light 18/18 over 200lb's 22/25r). Being conservative off-road, 12lb's front and rear. Now with the modified suspension (see other forum) I just stay around 18lb's..

http://tw200forum.com/index.php?/topic/1013-need-rear-shock-info/

I purchased the expensive footpegs (USA) and the install was simple. Those with the Chinese units seem happy and the mod does not seem to be a big deal. Good luck. Gerry
Back to top Go down
http://mrgizmow@aol.com
frog13

PostSubject: Re: VARIOUS TW QUESTIONS....NEW GUY.   VARIOUS TW QUESTIONS....NEW GUY. Empty6/13/2011, 7:28 pm

Thanks again gizmo.....USA foot pegs,I presume that is a brand?.
Back to top Go down
mrgizmow1

mrgizmow1

PostSubject: Re: VARIOUS TW QUESTIONS....NEW GUY.   VARIOUS TW QUESTIONS....NEW GUY. Empty6/13/2011, 8:42 pm

There is a very popular style of foot peg that everyone seems to like. One version is made in this country and a 'copy' is made in China. I purchased the U.S. ones (IMS brand) for around $75. I believe the copy runs about $24.. Gerry
Back to top Go down
frog13

PostSubject: Re: VARIOUS TW QUESTIONS....NEW GUY.   VARIOUS TW QUESTIONS....NEW GUY. Empty6/14/2011, 1:27 pm

You advised that installation of the IMS pegs is easy.....are there instructions?. ....I've thought about changing pegs on past bikes,but,never took the time to figure out how to disengage the peg spring?.
Back to top Go down
mrgizmow1

mrgizmow1

PostSubject: Re: VARIOUS TW QUESTIONS....NEW GUY.   VARIOUS TW QUESTIONS....NEW GUY. Empty6/14/2011, 6:07 pm

Frog, I think I know what you are asking, BUT. I advertised "nothing". I simply stated that I purchased a product and had no problem installing it. Some folks may not have found it as straight forward, and as well, I never purchased/installed the Chinese copies.

Don't want to come off as a 'jerk', but it is your money, and sometimes it is kind of a gamble. Generally (for what ever reason) I do not read directions, so not sure there were any.

You see what you have. Then you see what you purchased when it arrives. Now, you/me, and everyone needs to connect the dots and make it work. I had no (major) problems with the IMS units. Seems with the Chinese product, there is some issue/concern with the spring that allows the peg to fold-up when need, but then spring back down. Gerry
Back to top Go down
frog13

PostSubject: Re: VARIOUS TW QUESTIONS....NEW GUY.   VARIOUS TW QUESTIONS....NEW GUY. Empty6/15/2011, 12:34 pm

Gizmo...never implied you did advertise anything.I "said", ADVISED, as in you had/installed the IMS pegs(7th sentence of your post)...thanks for the info.
Back to top Go down
mrgizmow1

mrgizmow1

PostSubject: Re: VARIOUS TW QUESTIONS....NEW GUY.   VARIOUS TW QUESTIONS....NEW GUY. Empty6/15/2011, 5:15 pm

Indeed, you are correct. Thanks, Gerry
Back to top Go down
frog13

PostSubject: Re: VARIOUS TW QUESTIONS....NEW GUY.   VARIOUS TW QUESTIONS....NEW GUY. Empty6/21/2011, 12:25 pm

On the rejetting aspect,I'm reading in a variety of forums,since I ride between 400 and 1200 ft above sea level that rejetting may not have an advantage for my application?.The bike usually starts on the second attempt(cold) and immediately when warm!.There is no backfiring/popping on deceration????.Any thoughts,guru's.
Back to top Go down
Rodney

PostSubject: Re: VARIOUS TW QUESTIONS....NEW GUY.   VARIOUS TW QUESTIONS....NEW GUY. Empty6/21/2011, 2:07 pm

If your bike is the non-california model, then your stock main should be a 126. I would try to go to a 128 or a 130, and raise the needle up by adding a few tiny washers. Then you can adjust the air/fuel screw to fine tune the throttle response off the bottom. You can gain a slight advantage if you're willing to spend a little time on it.
Back to top Go down
rm_hm

rm_hm

PostSubject: Re: VARIOUS TW QUESTIONS....NEW GUY.   VARIOUS TW QUESTIONS....NEW GUY. Empty6/21/2011, 4:11 pm

I did the jet change and needle spacers on my 2009

https://tw200.forumotion.com/t152-tk-carb-main-jet-needle-spacing-change

I ride from sea level to 4000'

I have not had any problems.

Chain slack
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=5cK&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=+site:tw200forum.com+tw200+forum+battery#sclient=psy&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&source=hp&q=site:tw200forum.com+chain+slack&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=905e9081899b75b1&biw=1067&bih=644
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/venture72
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: VARIOUS TW QUESTIONS....NEW GUY.   VARIOUS TW QUESTIONS....NEW GUY. Empty

Back to top Go down

VARIOUS TW QUESTIONS....NEW GUY.
Page 1 of 1