TW200 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
TW200 Forum

Forum for all TW200 Owners/enthusiasts

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Shift lever - tough to shift now?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
sKatZ

Shift lever - tough to shift now? Empty
PostSubject: Shift lever - tough to shift now?   Shift lever - tough to shift now? Empty10/7/2011, 7:23 pm

I just got my bike back yesterday from the shop and had the chain and sprockets replaced while everything else was being repaired. The shift lever seems really REALLY stiff now compared to the last time I rode. I haven't had the bike very long and only rode it three times (more or less) before my less-than-elegant get-off.

I mentioned it to the service guy and he said it felt fine to him when he rode it around but that to change the front sprocket, the lever had to come off. What I'm wondering - since I really don't know this bike well yet - is what is too tight and how can I fix it. Or... was it just really sloppy loose because the chain and sprockets were so badly worn?

All thoughts are most welcome. I am brave enough to try almost anything but I could use help from someone who can tell me "NO! NOT THAT ONE!" before I loosen the one bolt that holds everything together.

Thank you!

Kat
Back to top Go down
Admiral
Admiral

PostSubject: Re: Shift lever - tough to shift now?   Shift lever - tough to shift now? Empty10/8/2011, 8:51 am

Sure wish I could help, but I've not had reason to have my side covers off. This winter I plan on replacing my chain, which I still have the original on, and will mostly likely have to take off the side cover for a good front sprocket inspection/change.

Most shifting problems I'm aware of deal with chain tension, or lack-there-of, and engine oil. Apparently not using an oil made for wet clutch motorcycle use causes problems. I'm sure the shop would have put in the correct type and amount, but you may want to verify your oil level and chain slack.

Though it's difficult to explain in words, my shifter or shifting into gears is rather easy with no noticeable stiffness or looseness. Only trick we all have with the TW as well as other motorcycles in general, is shifting into neutral.

I usually read most maintenance related posts to glean some information for myself, I can't recall reading about a situation like yours, only chain and oil related. You may want to goggle your problem, which could lead you to the other TW forum, which I'm also a member of and seems to have more members and is more active. Here's an example of a goggle search for information in the other forum: TW200 forum gear shift.

Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
frog13

PostSubject: Re: Shift lever - tough to shift now?   Shift lever - tough to shift now? Empty10/8/2011, 3:05 pm

Measure your chain slack....if incorrect,adjust......bet this is the issue(too tight).
Back to top Go down
Rodney

PostSubject: Re: Shift lever - tough to shift now?   Shift lever - tough to shift now? Empty10/8/2011, 4:35 pm

frog13 wrote:
Measure your chain slack....if incorrect,adjust......bet this is the issue(too tight).

+1
Back to top Go down
sKatZ

PostSubject: Re: Shift lever - tough to shift now?   Shift lever - tough to shift now? Empty10/8/2011, 8:06 pm

Thanks, everyone! I haven't ridden it since I brought it home - too worried that I'd break something. Sounds like I made the right call. Thank you for the advice - I'll check the slack tomorrow and see what I can do!
Back to top Go down
frog13

PostSubject: Re: Shift lever - tough to shift now?   Shift lever - tough to shift now? Empty10/15/2011, 7:40 pm

skatZ..............find anything as of yet?.......I'm curious!.
Back to top Go down
frog13

PostSubject: Re: Shift lever - tough to shift now?   Shift lever - tough to shift now? Empty11/9/2012, 6:15 pm

Skatz,you still around?.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shift lever - tough to shift now?   Shift lever - tough to shift now? Empty

Back to top Go down

Shift lever - tough to shift now?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TW200 Forum :: General :: Technical-
Jump to: