TW200 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
TW200 Forum

Forum for all TW200 Owners/enthusiasts

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

oil filter cover leak

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
frog13

oil filter cover leak Empty
PostSubject: oil filter cover leak   oil filter cover leak Empty10/8/2011, 1:39 pm

Been having slight oil leaks from the bottom of the oil filter cover?.....last oil change,I replaced the gaskets....leak returned?.....bike only has a couple hundred miles on it...2009 bought this past June. There does not appear to be any scratches to the cover or the case where they make contact?. All bolts are properly torqued and the gaskets are proprely set????????. Any ideas fellow riders.
Back to top Go down
Rodney

PostSubject: Re: oil filter cover leak   oil filter cover leak Empty10/8/2011, 4:41 pm

frog13 wrote:
Been having slight oil leaks from the bottom of the oil filter cover?.....last oil change,I replaced the gaskets....leak returned?.....bike only has a couple hundred miles on it...2009 bought this past June. There does not appear to be any scratches to the cover or the case where they make contact?. All bolts are properly torqued and the gaskets are proprely set????????. Any ideas fellow riders.

Get a nice flat piece of glass and place the cover on it. See if you can detect any warpage. Try to do the same with the engine side if you can get the glass up to it. If it looks like the cover is warped, you could try gently sanding it flat on a nice thick piece of glass with 120-180 grit wet/dry sandpaper attached. If it seems to be the engine side, you'll probably have to remove the clutch cover and sand it on the glass. Another option, if the oil filter cover is the culprit, is to order a new one. I think (hope) they're fairly cheap.
Back to top Go down
frog13

PostSubject: Re: oil filter cover leak   oil filter cover leak Empty10/9/2011, 3:41 pm

Hmmmm,didn't think of the glass thingy,thanks,as usual ,Sir Rodney....I'll update ,when I figure it out.
Back to top Go down
frog13

PostSubject: Re: oil filter cover leak   oil filter cover leak Empty10/15/2011, 7:35 pm

Well,I went and bought new oil cover o-ring(s)....no more leak. But, what I did notice regarding the large o-ring packageing is this. On the package you'll see the part number above a bar code....below that you'll see: made in Indonesia and another set of small numbers above/beside another bar code. This smaller set of numbers on the new o-ring package was different than the "old" o-ring package.....also,the new o-ring was alittle smaller than the replaced one. Do not know if this has any merit or not.....could this be another foul-up on somebody's packaging versus' the wrong product placed in the package?.....just like the Yamaha oil filters???.
Back to top Go down
mrgizmow1

mrgizmow1

PostSubject: Re: oil filter cover leak   oil filter cover leak Empty10/16/2011, 8:15 am

I don't ever recall hearing anyone mention any issue with the cover leaking or a 'bad' patch or O-rings. I have changed mine once. Not because of leaking, just seemed to be a good thing to do after removing the cover a few times to clean the filter. Gerry
Back to top Go down
http://mrgizmow@aol.com
frog13

PostSubject: Re: oil filter cover leak   oil filter cover leak Empty10/16/2011, 12:53 pm

Yea,just my luck,a mystery leak........everything is in torque spec......this is annoying...to say the least.......no,I'm not going to start using form a gasket/permatex.
Back to top Go down
frog13

PostSubject: Re: oil filter cover leak   oil filter cover leak Empty11/9/2012, 6:12 pm

frog13 wrote:
Well,I went and bought new oil cover o-ring(s)....no more leak. But, what I did notice regarding the large o-ring packageing is this. On the package you'll see the part number above a bar code....below that you'll see: made in Indonesia and another set of small numbers above/beside another bar code. This smaller set of numbers on the new o-ring package was different than the "old" o-ring package.....also,the new o-ring was alittle smaller than the replaced one. Do not know if this has any merit or not.....could this be another foul-up on somebody's packaging versus' the wrong product placed in the package?.....just like the Yamaha oil filters???.

After replacing the o-ring(s) and as above said the "new" one was a bit smaller......this did the trick,no leak since the above post.So,in my opinion,there had to be merit to the bar code thingy/my measuring and seeing a difference in the rings.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: oil filter cover leak   oil filter cover leak Empty

Back to top Go down

oil filter cover leak
Page 1 of 1