TW200 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
TW200 Forum

Forum for all TW200 Owners/enthusiasts

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Newbie Here

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Kankujoe

Kankujoe

Newbie Here Empty
PostSubject: Newbie Here   Newbie Here Empty12/27/2011, 6:23 am

I'm new here, thought I should say hello before I start posting questions & comments. Have been reading over at the other TW forum & at ADVrider about TWs for a while, found a link to this forum today...

I just bought a slightly used (1400 miles on it), 2008 TW200 almost 4 weeks ago. I've been looking for a 200/250cc dual sport for awhile, going back & forth over makes/models & buying new vs used. Since the TW has essentially been unchanged for several years I thought a clean, slightly used one at less than half the new sticker price, made good financial sense. I've been reading both here & over at ADVrider about the TW & after reading a few long-distance ride reports I decided to go for it.

I chose the TW for 3 main reasons:
1) I wanted a stout bike with a low seat that is easy to handle & a non-threatening bike for my wife to learn to ride (first away from pavement, then on the road)... 2) a bike that I could learn & improve off-road skills... 3) a bike that I could have fun with riding through the woods, across pasture & down dirt roads & occasionally into town... I live on 60+ acres of timbered land, in the middle of miles & miles of wooded country estates, farms & ranches, so graded gravel & dirt roads are everywhere...

After having the TW for about a month I'm looking for another... my wife likes mine wants one of her own... I'm looking for another 2008 or newer TW with low miles...

From what I've read, alot of riders are using their TWs for travel adventures (some great TW ride reports over at ADVrider.com)... I've done several trips & commuting daily with my Kawasaki Versys but mostly on pavement...I'm excited about the TW openning up some backcountry adventures once I upgrade my off-road skills & get the TW outfitted...

Since buying the TW I've been adding some farkles... so far I've added front & rear racks from CycleRacks.com, bag supports & soft panniers. I plan on adding: handguards (don't know the best fit for the TW), 12V plug (not sure how much current is available for electronic farkles), a "BackOff" brake light strobe or similar, bigger foot pegs (probably what I've seen on eBay?), and a Ram mount for my Delorme Earthmate PN-60 GPS... and maybe some sort of tank bag or tail bag... Maybe a windshield (Do they make a noticeable difference on the TW?)... Down the road, maybe a larger gas tank (I'd like a 200-250 mile fuel range)... but from all the reading I've done I'm leaning towards just using a Kolpin Jr fuel cell or two until I see a better gas tank fit... Not quite sure about getting a Clarke tank...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
mrgizmow1

mrgizmow1

Newbie Here Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie Here   Newbie Here Empty12/27/2011, 7:35 am

Welcome KJ. The TW has certainly been a fun bike for me. A socket to feed the electronics seems to be a popular mod. I have not heard of any issues, except when someone begins thinking about electric handwarmers and such. Again, based on my experience, I would give serious thought to a different front tire. This would be especially so for your Wifes bike if you folks are going off pavement. I ride very slow (15mph) off-road and found my front twitching and washing-out without warning, not a rea confidence builder for someone trying to learn. Here are some ideas. Gerry

http://tw200forum.com/index.php?/topic/1252-whats-your-vote-for-an-upgraded-front-tire/

Back to top Go down
http://mrgizmow@aol.com

Newbie Here
Page 1 of 1